Healthy Orange Chicken Recipe
February 10, 2020
Are you ready to ditch the takeout and start eating healthier? Well I got you covered for dinner tonight. My Healthy Orange Chicken Recipe will be sure to make your mouth water. Did you know that orange chicken is one of the least healthy entree items in takeout menus? The orange chicken is deep fried and battered that the amount of fat content you are consuming is awfully high. With my Healthy Orange Chicken Recipe, you’ll no longer have to worry about that. It will have all the flavors you crave but with less calories. Let’s get started!
What You’ll Need To Make Orange Chicken Sauce
The ingredients to make Orange Chicken Sauce includes:
- ½ cup of 2 freshly squeezed oranges
- Zest from 1 orange
- 3 tablespoons of soy sauce
- 4 tablespoons of honey (if you prefer sweeter sauce add 1 more tablespoon)
- 1 tablespoon of rice wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons of minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon of fresh minced ginger
- 1 tablespoon of orange marmalade (optional)
- ¼ teaspoon of Sambal or red pepper flakes
- 2 teaspoons of cornstarch
What You’ll Need To Make Orange Chicken
The ingredients to make Orange Chicken includes:
- 2 pounds of chicken breast cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon of toasted sesame seed oil
- 1 tablespoon of grape seed oil
- Salt & Pepper for taste on the chicken
How To Make Healthy Orange Chicken
Step 1: In a mixing bowl, whisk all the orange sauce ingredients together and set aside.
Step 2: Add grape seed oil and toasted sesame seed oil to saute pan on medium high heat.
Step 3: Add chicken to pan and cook and brown thoroughly around 6-10 minutes depending on the thickness of your chicken.
Step 4: Remove chicken from the pan and drain all the leftover oil from the pan.
Step 5: Add the orange sauce and chicken back into the pan on medium heat. The sauce should thicken up in 2 to 3 minutes, then remove from heat.
Step 6: Serve orange chicken with your favorite rice or just add steamed sugar snaps for a complete meal.
And that’s how you do it! You are ready to sit down and enjoy the delicious meal that you just cooked up. This recipe was fast, easy, and once you take a bite out of the dish you’ll find out it’s also full of those yummy flavors you love. I also have a video on how I make this recipe where I show you step by step what to do. All you have to do is follow along! Be sure to check out my other delicious recipes that are packed with flavors including my Tequila Lime Chicken Recipe and my Cod Fish Cake Recipe!