12 Oz of fresh Halibut skin and bones removed (Your choice of local fresh fish Non-oily)
12 Oz of fresh Large shrimp vein and shells removed
1/2 cup of dry white wine
3 1/2 cups of chicken stock
1 8 oz bottle of clam juice
1/2 cup of fresh parsley
2 tablespoons of fesh lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon of saffron ( about a pinch 20 threads)
3 Bay leaves
2 tablespoons of olive oil for sauteing vegetables
2 tablespoons of finishing good quality extra virgin olive oil for topping soup
Salt and Pepper to taste
1. In large pot with lid I used dutch oven add 2 tablespoons of olive oil and on medium heat saute the onions, celery and garlic for 8 minutes with lid on stiring every few minutes and adding a little salt to the vegetables
2. In microwave heat up 1/ 2 cup of the chicken stock when hot add saffron and steep for 10 to 20 minutes will bring out better flavors of the saffron
3. Turn up heat on stove top to medium high and add the wine to the vegetables and cook out alcohol for 1 minute.
4. Then add the potatoes, tomatoes, stock, stock with saffron, clam juice, 3 bay leaves and finishing extra virgin olive oil with salt and pepper to taste. Simmer the vegetables for 20 minutes with lid off until the potatoes are soft.
5. Turn the heat down to a low simmer then add your fish and shrimp and simmer on low for 8 minutes until the fish is cooked through.
6. The last minute of cooking add your fresh parsley and lemon juice. For a thicker stew smash a few of the potatoes in the liquid and simmer with lid off.