12 Oz of fresh halibut with the skin and bones removed or your choice of local fresh fish (non-oily)
12 Oz of fresh large shrimp (vein and shells removed)
1/2 cup of dry white wine
3 1/2 cups of chicken stock
1 8 oz bottle of clam juice
1/2 cup of fresh parsley
2 tablespoons of fresh lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon of saffron (about a pinch 20 threads)
3 bay leaves
2 tablespoons of olive oil for sauteing vegetables
2 tablespoons of finishing good quality extra virgin olive oil for topping soup
Salt and pepper to taste
1. In large pot with lid (I used my dutch oven) add 2 tablespoons of olive oil. On medium heat saute the onions, celery and garlic for 8 minutes with lid on. Stir every few minutes and add a little salt to the vegetables.
2. In microwave, heat up 1/ 2 cup of the chicken stock. When it is hot add saffron and steep for 10 to 20 minutes. This will bring out better flavors of the saffron.
3. Turn up the heat on stove top to a medium high and add the wine to the vegetables. Cook out the alcohol for 1 minute.
4. Add the potatoes, tomatoes, stock, stock with saffron, clam juice, 3 bay leaves and finishing extra virgin olive oil with salt and pepper to taste. Simmer the vegetables for 20 minutes with lid off until the potatoes are soft.
5. Turn the heat down to a low simmer. Then add your fish and shrimp and simmer on low for 8 minutes until the fish is cooked through.
6. The last minute of cooking add your fresh parsley and lemon juice. For a thicker stew smash a few of the potatoes in the liquid and simmer with lid off.