1/4 teaspoon of chipotle pepper powder or cayenne powder
salt and pepper to taste
Spices for in chili only
3 tablespoons of chili powder
1 tablespoon of cumin
1 teaspoon of oregano or italian seasoning spice mix
1/2 teaspoon of chipotle pepper powder
2 tablespoons of olive oil for sauteing vegetables
1 large sweet onion diced
1 red pepper diced
1 yellow pepper diced
2 medium carrots diced
1 jalapeno diced seeds removed
4 garlic garlic cloves minced
28 Oz can of crushed tomatoes
2 cups of water
15.5 Oz can of kidney beans
15.5 Oz can of cannelini beans
1/2 of 15.5 oz can of vegan refried beans
2 tablespoons of cilantro
Juice of 1 lime
1. In bowl add butternut squash , olive oil and the spice mix of cumin, chipotle, and cinnamon. Add salt and pepper and toss to coat all squash with oil and spices. Place in a single layer in a roasting pan and place in a 400 degree preheated oven for 30 to 40 minutes until tender.
2. While the butternut squash in baking place olive oil in your dutch oven or pan and saute onion, peppers, carrots, jalapeno and garlic. Add your spice blend of cumin, chili powder, chipotle powder and oregano immediately at the beginning. Saute the vegetables for 10 minutes.
3. Add the crushed tomatoes, water, Salt, Pepper and both cans of beans and stir to combine place lid on pan and simmer on low for 1 hour.
4. After 1 hour stir in 1/2 can of refried beans for thickening the sauce. Add the roasted butternut squash, cilantro, juice of 1 lime stir to combine.
5. Enjoy with your favorite toppings, this is where this dish could become vegetarian if you add cheese and sour cream. I love to add sour cream and a red fresno chili for more heat and chopped scallions