Bacon Wrapped Pork Tenderloin with Drunken Bourbon Dates
1 pork tenderloin about 1.3 to 1.5 pounds (silverskin removed)
7 slices of bacon
Salt to taste
INGREDIENTS FOR BOURBON DRUNKEN DATE SPREAD
1/2 cup of dates pits removed (softened with bourbon)
1/2 cup of bourbon (reserve one tablespoon after dates are soft)
2 tablespoons of stone ground mustard
1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
1/4 cup of soy sauce
1/2 teaspoon of cumin
1/2 teaspoon of onion powder
1/4 teaspoon of black pepper
1. Remove the silver skin from the pork tenderloin and then salt your pork tenderloin.
2. Bring the bourbon to a soft simmer, remove from stove and add the hot bourbon to the dates and let sit for 20 minutes to absorb the bourbon and soften the dates.
3. To make the drunken bourbon paste add the softened dates with 1 tablespoon of the reserved hot bourbon to the food processor and process until a paste forms. Then add mustard, maple syrup, soy sauce, cumin, onion powder and black pepper. Pulse until all is combined.
4. Coat half the drunken date sauce on the pork tenderloin. Then wrap the pork tenderloin with the bacon overlapping the bacon on the bottom to seal.
5. Spread the other half of the date spread over the top of the bacon.
6. Place on a foil lined baking sheet and a preheated oven set at 425 degrees and bake for about 25 to 35 minutes until the center of the pork tenderloin reaches 135 degreees (note you will not eat at 135 degrees).
7. Let the pork tenderloin rest for 10 minutes and the temperature will raise to 140-145 is safe for pork tenderloin.
8. NOTE: for a crispy bacon do not spread the date sauce on top of the bacon and in the last few minutes of cooking use your broiler to crisp the bacon then the last 2 minutes coat with sauce and do not use broiler, it will burn the sauce.