1/2 cup of pecorino cheese finely graded plus more for on top of the pasta
2 whole large eggs plus 2 yolks
1lb thick spaghetti noodles
1 teaspoon of freshly cracked black pepper
1 tablespoon of olive oil
1 teaspoon of fresh cracked pepper
1. Add salt to a large pot of boiling water for the pasta. It is important for the pasta to be done at the same time as the guanciale. Thick pasta noodles take around 10 to 12 minutes to cook. Add them to the boiling water.
2. Cut guanciale into bite size pieces. Start with a cold saute pan, and add 1 tablespoon of olive oil and guanciale to skillet. Turn skillet on to a medium low and render the fat out of the guanciale. In about 4 minutes the fat should start to render out, then add the cracked black pepper to the pan.
3. It should take around 10 minutes for the guanciale to caramelize and brown. After meat has caramelized, add the black pepper to pan.
4. In a small bowl, add the eggs and cheese and whisk together.
5. Right before the pasta and guanciale is finished we need to temper the eggs. Slowly add two tablespoons of the rendered guanciale fat to the eggs whisking at the same time. Then add 2 tablespoons of the salty hot pasta water to the eggs whisking at the same time then set aside.
6. Turn heat off on guanciale skillet. Add the pasta directly to the skillet with 1/2 cup of salty boiling water. Coat all the pasta noodles with guanciale and rendered fat.
7. Let the noodles cool in the pan for 2 minutes. Then add the tempered eggs and stir together to coat all noodles, test if you want to add salt but the guanciale is salty.