1 cup of chopped onion sautéed in butter with 2 garlic cloves
1 large egg
3 tablespoons of mayonnaise
2 teaspoons of Dijon
1 teaspoon of Worcestershire
1 tablespoon of fresh dill
2 teaspoons of old bay
1 cup of saltines crushed
Salt and pepper
1 cup of Panko (for the outside crust)
3 tablespoons of olive oil
2 pads of butter
1. Take the fresh cod and place in pan. Fill pan with cold water until it just reaches the top of the cod, then add the lemon slices, peppercorns, and mustard seeds. Bring the cold water to a slow low simmer for 6 to 8 minutes. Very important tip: the water should not be a hard boil or fish could get chewy. Remove fish from water and drain all liquid from the cod. Remove all peppercorns and lemon.
2. Sauté your onions and garlic in butter for a few minutes until translucent.
3. In a large bowl mix together the egg, mustard, worcestershire, mayonnaise, fresh dill, and old bay seasoning. Then whisk together all the wet ingredients until all combined. Then add the cooked cod with the sauted onions, garlic & crushed saltines with salt and pepper. Softly mix until all is incorporated.
4. Form 4 patties. Place in the fridge for 30 minutes to set. Then on both sides of patties, pat panko crumbs for that extra crunch.
5. Fry fish cakes in a combo of olive oil and butter for 4 to 5 minutes on one side, and 3 to 4 on the other side until cooked. Remember the fish was already cooked through.