16oz of smoked andouille sausage made with pork (cut into bite size pieces)
2 tablespoons of olive oil
1 medium diced onion
1 medium diced red bell pepper
3 cloves of minced garlic
1 jalapeno diced thin (seeds removed for less heat)
14 1/2oz can of diced tomatoes
1 cup of peas (fresh or frozen)
1 1/2 cups of basmati rice
3 cups of chicken stock
1 tablespoon of paprika
1 teaspoon of smoked paprika
1 teaspoon of oregano dried
Salt and pepper to taste
Garnish with fresh cilantro (3 tablespoons)
1. In a large deep saute pan or dutch oven, add olive oil on a medium heat. Saute the sausage for 3 minutes until caramelized.
2. Add the onion, red bell pepper, jalapeno, garlic, salt and pepper. Saute the vegetables until translucent for about 5 minutes.
3. Move all the vegetables and meat to the side of the pan. Add the brown rice for 1 minute. If needed, add more oil before adding the rice to the pan.
4. Add all the spices: paprika, smoked paprika and oregano. Incorporate with all the rice, vegetables and meat. Mix all together.
5. Add the diced tomatoes, chicken stock and peas. Stir to combine all the ingredients. Let mixture come to a simmer. Turn down the burner to a low simmer with the lid off for 20-25 minutes until all the liquid is absorbed.
6. Garnish with fresh cilantro and enjoy your one pot recipe!