1. Pull the filet mignon out of the fridge 1 hour before cooking.
2. Cook on either carbon steel, copper core or cast iron. If using cast iron please be aware that pan will smoke and do not add grapeseed oil in the pan, brush it on the steak or you will have the smoke alarms go off.
3. Only salt and pepper the filet mignon right before you are ready to put it in the pan, the salt will draw moisture out of the filet and make it tough.
4. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
5. Place your ovenproof saute pan on medium high heat and let the pan heat up, then add the grape seed oil. When the oil starts to smoke add the filet mignon cook for 3 minutes for the perfect sear.
6. Flip the filet ounce to the other side and add rosemary and thyme and butter to the pan. Without moving the filet move the butter around in the pan to keep it from burning. Base the filet with the butter sauce by tilting the saute pan. After 3 minutes add a pad of butter directly on top of the filet and place directly in the oven for 3 to 5 minutes depending on the thickness of your filet.
7. With an instant read thermometer check for 125 degrees for the perfect medium rare, 135 degrees for medium and 145 for medium well.
8. When it reaches your desired temp, remove from pan and let the filet rest no less than 5 minutes to 10 minutes the internal temp will rise another 5 degrees while resting.
9. Serve with a baked potato and your favorite vegetable.