2 1/2 to 3 pounds of whole chicken legs that is drumstick and thigh bone in (skin removed)
1 /2 teaspoon of chili powder just to sprinkle on the chicken
2 tablespoons of olive oil
INGREDIENTS FOR THE MARINADE
1 cup of plain greek yogurt
2 teaspoons of lemon juice
2 teaspoons of chili powder
1 teaspoon of minced garlic
1 teaspoon of minced fresh ginger
1 teaspoon of tumeric
1 teaspoon of cumin
1 teaspoon of coriander
1 teaspoon of garam masala
1 teaspoon of tandoori spice blend (optional)
1 teaspoon of plant based red food coloring (optional)
1. Cut deep slashes (to the bone) in 3 or 4 places on the chicken and spinkle on the 1/2 tsp of chili powder and rub into the slashes.
2. Whisk the spices into yogurt, then mix in the lemon juice, garlic, ginger and salt.
3. Coat the chicken with the marinade and rub into the slashes, cover and chill for at least 3 hours preferably 8 hours.
4. Place chicken with marinade on a wire rack with a foil lined pan underneath to catch the drippings in a 425 degree oven for 15 to 20 minutes.
5. Place 2 tablespoons of olive oil in the leftover marinade and baste the chicken after 15 minutes and flip chicken and continue cooking for another 15 to 20 minutes until chicken reaches temp of 165 degrees.
6. Pair the chicken with cilantro and lime and your favorite basmati rice.