1 sprig of fresh rosemary wrapped in twine with 3 sprigs of fresh thyme
1/4 teaspoon of red pepper flakes
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Add olive oil to a dutch oven on medium high heat, then add the mushrooms and brown to bring out the flavors takes about 7 to 8 minutes. Remove mushrooms and set aside.
2. In the same pan add olive oil then add onion, celery, carrots, red pepper flakes and garlic and saute for 10 minutes. Then add the wine and let cook out taking about 1 minute.
3. After wine is cooked out add the tomato paste and cooked mushrooms to the pan and cook for 3 minutes longer.
4. Then add the crushed tomatoes, lentils, vegetables, stock and water. Stir to combine all the ingredients.
5. Stir in your dry italian herb blend and sugar. Using cooking twine, tie up your fresh herbs, rosemary and thyme. Drop them into the bolognese.
6. Cook for 45 to 60 minutes until the lentils are cooked through to your liking. If lentils soak up all the liquid add 1/2 cup of water each time to thin out bolognese. Remove the bundle of herbs at the end of cooking,
7. Enjoy over some spaghetti squash or your favorite noodles.