August 19, 2020
Are you craving a vegetarian pizza? Well you’re in luck, I have a delicious vegetarian pizza recipe that I am so excited to share with you all. This vegetarian recipe is different from your normal pizza, I have decided to incorporate unique ingredients to make this delicious pizza. What are some of the ingredients I use? I use ingredients such as figs, caramelized onions, and goat cheese. Trust me, you’ll end up loving this pizza!
Here is a list of the full ingredients that are needed to make my Fig Caramelized Onion Flatbread Pizza:
- 11 Inch Flatbread Pizza Shell
- 3 Sweet Onions around 3 Pounds
- 3 Tablespoons of Butter
- 4 Fresh ripe figs sliced
- 6 Oz of goat cheese
- 1 1/2 cups of arugula
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil for dressing arugula
- 1 tablespoon of honey
- Salt to taste
- (Optional) 1/4 cup of white wine to finish caramelizing onions
Now let me share the directions with you on how to make this delicious recipe!
1. I only make this recipe when it is Fig season because the fresh figs are very ripe and sweet, The black Mission fig is my favorite despite their name, they aren’t really black more of an insanely deep purple. You will also find the Adriatic Figs are pale green to pale yellow also called the white fig you may also see them as candy striped figs named when their exteriors are pale green and white striped.
2. Caramelized Onions are a labor of love. It takes time to bring out all the Devine sweet flavors from the onions. It will be a minimum of 1 hour to do caramelized onion right, I took my onions for an hour 1/2 to get that dark brown color. But believe me it is worth the wait. They are amazingly sweet. Slice up the sweet onions and try not to cry. I always do when there are this many onions. Turn your burner on Medium Low add the butter let melt then add sliced onions and salt. Salt at this time is very important because it will draw out all the moisture from the onions so they don’t brown in the pan. Stir to combine all the salt butter and onions. It will look like a huge mound of onion but it will reduce down dramatically.
3. You want to keep stirring the onion every 5 to 8 minutes to keep them from browning. After 20 minutes in the sauté pan it will look like this (picture below), You will have liquid in the bottom of the pan from the onions. This is a good thing. It will keep the onions from browning and they will caramelize.
4. The temperature of the pan and burner is important if you see the onions start to brown on one side and turn down the heat because the pan is too hot. After one hour the caramelized onions look like this (picture below) Taste to make sure the salt level is correct and the sweetness is what you want. I added 1/4 of white wine at this time to give the onions more moisture in the pan so they didn’t brown and cooked them for a total of 1 hour and 1/2 . I just wanted a darker color to my caramelized onions but the onions were sweet enough at the hour mark. You can choose how long you want to take the onions.
5. You should have the oven preheated to 425 Degrees and it is time to start to build you flatbread pizza spread the caramelized onions over the bottom of the flatbread. Then top the onion with goat cheese. I find that the goat cheese works the best because you are getting the sweetness from the caramelized onion and the fresh figs so you want a tang to counterbalance the sweetness and goat cheese works the best. I like to use an Air-blade or a pizza stone to get that crispy crunch to the flatbread. Today I am using the Air-Blade. It has a tiny hole in the bottom of the pizza pan so the heat can pass through and brown up the bottom of the flatbread. Place in the oven for 10 minutes or until the flatbread is crispy and brown keep checking because bread can easily burn in the oven.
As soon as you bring the cooked flatbread out of the oven drizzle the top with honey. Then it’s time to slice your figs and place olive oil and salt on your arugula . Time to finish the flatbread by adding the dressed arugula and sliced figs overtop of the hot flatbread. This is my favorite time cutting a slice. You will fall in love with this artisan flatbread pizza so much that you wished you would have made a second one. I hope that you enjoyed making this vegetarian pizza and enjoy eating it even more! I have more recipes to share where that came from. I encourage you to check out some of my other recipes such as my Fajita Stuffed Chicken, Truffle Mac and Cheese Recipe, Salmon Stir Fry Recipe, Fish Stew Recipe, Heirloom Tomato Basil Pasta, and my Mexican Inspired Stuffed Peppers.